Chapter 453A of the Iowa Code requires that any person offering cigarettes or tobacco products for sale to the consumer hold a valid retail cigarette/tobacco permit. Only one permit is required for selling cigarettes only, tobacco products only or both cigarettes and tobacco products.
TO OBTAIN A NEW PERMIT:
- Complete the APPLICATION FOR IOWA RETAIL CIGARETTE / TOBACCO PERMIT.
- After completion, forward the application, either by mail or in person, to Marion City Hall, City Clerk’s office, 1225 6th Ave, Marion, IA 52302.
- Include payment as follows:
- If permit will be issued during the months of July through September - $100.00
- If permit will be issued during the months of October through December - $75.00
- If permit will be issued during the months of January through March - $50.00
- If permit will be issued during the months of April through June - $25.00
Make checks payable to “City of Marion”. All permits expire on June 30th of each year.
RENEWING A PERMIT:
A new application form will be mailed to you prior to June 30 for renewing your permit. The renewal fee each year is $100.00.
All applications, new or renewal, must be approved by the City Council at their regularly scheduled meetings, which occur on the first and third Thursdays of each month. After the application is approved, a permit will be mailed to you.
More information can be found on the Iowa Department of Revenue website.