About the Grant Program
Each year the City collects a 7 percent room tax on overnight stays at hotels and motels in the community. The funds are then redistributed through a grant application process to organizations that work to increase tourism in Marion.
Groups, nonprofit organizations, and other organizations with a benevolent purpose are encouraged to apply. Projects that increase tourists and result in more over-night stays in Marion are given priority.
City staff, City Council representatives, hotel managers and Council-appointed citizens review the applications, determine recommended funding allocations, and make a recommendation to the council for use of the funds.
City Council awarded over $171,000 to 15 area projects/organizations in June 2016.
Those awarded funding in FY 2016-2017 include:
- Bike Racks for Marion
- Giving Tree Theater: Live Theatrical 2016/17 Production Support
- GO Cedar Rapids: Tourism Promotion
- Granger House Museum
- Greater Cedar Rapids Open: Professional Golf Tournament
- Marion Arts Council: Picnic on the Prairie Fall Concert
- Marion Arts Festival: 2017
- Marion Chamber of Commerce: Tourism & Community Development
- Marion Historical Society, Preserving Marion's Heritage
- Marion Metro Kiwanis: 7th Annual BBQ Rendezvous
- Marion Parks & Recreation: Family Entertainment Nights at Lowe Park
- Marion Parks & Recreation: Community Movie Night
- Red Cedar Chamber Music: String Chamber Music for Marion
- Swamp Fox Festival: 2016
- Uptown Marion, a Main Street Iowa District: Uptown Marion Marketing & Promotions