Temporary portable LP tanks used at construction sites require a permit. A permit fee of $20 per tank is required at the time that the permit is issued.
To obtain a permit, forward the following information to the Fire Department Prevention Bureau:
- The construction site address.
- The contractor’s name and full business address.
- A minimum of two emergency contact numbers.
- The size of the storage vessel.
- The name and full address of the owner/provider of the LP storage tank.
- A description of how the gas lines will be protected from damage.
- Prepare and draw a site plan. The site plan should include the following:
- All property lines
- Any existing buildings
- Distance to property lines and other buildings from the tank
- Product identification must be visible on tank – lettering must be a minimum of 4 inches high with a brush stroke of ½ inch.
- Container, regulators and piping must be protected from vehicle damage.
- The following minimum distances must be met:
- Less than 125 gallon containers - Minimum of 5 feet from any lot line, building or public way – exceptions may apply please call for details.
- 126-250 gallon containers - Minimum of 10 feet from any lot line, building or public way.
- 251-500 gallon containers- Minimum of 10 feet from any lot line, building or public way and no less than 3 feet between containers.
- 501-2,000 gallon containers - Minimum of 25 feet from any lot line, building or public way and no less than 3 feet between containers.
- Over 2000 gallon capacity – Call for specific requirements.