Residential collections of solid waste are performed by department staff on a daily basis. In addition, the department maintains a holiday collection schedule to coincide with the annual holiday schedule.
Residents are required to place all solid waste to be collected at the curb before 7 a.m. on their designated collection day. Solid waste collection containers can be no bigger than 33 gallons in size and must have a detachable lid.
This Public Service Collection Information handout provides an overview what is/isn't accepted curbside.
Additional bags of garbage, beyond the the allotted 33 gallon bin must have a $2 sticker attached. Solid waste stickers may be purchased at the following locations:
- Marion City Hall
- Marion Public Services Facility
- Casey’s General Store: 7th Avenue, Lindale Drive and S. 11th Street
- Fareway: Marion and 1st Avenue in Cedar Rapids
- Hawkeye Convenience Stores: East Post Road and 2500 7th Avenue
- Hy-Vee Stores: Marion, Mt. Vernon Road and Collins Road in Cedar Rapids
- Hy-Vee Drug Stores: Marion and Boyson Road in Cedar Rapids
- Kum & Go: 7th Avenue and Blairs Ferry Road
The Public Service Department maintains a holiday collection schedule to coincide with scheduled holidays.The 2017 holiday schedule is as follows: